GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded college access program designed to increase the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education immediately after high school.
We aim to improve college-going mindsets, high school graduation rates, and postsecondary enrollment rates through a wide range of research-grounded services to students, families, and teachers.
GEAR UP Educator Support
GEAR UP supports teachers, providing educators in western NC access to support and resources, through grants, programming and professional development opportunities. Learn more about the opportunities and services of GEAR UP Educator Support.
Our work focuses on five main areas of postsecondary planning and preparation:
- strengthening academic preparation for postsecondary success
- providing intentional and comprehensive advising throughout students' secondary and postsecondary careers
- developing curricular and extra-curricular experiences that inform and prepare students to take their next step
- improving students' families' ability to support their students through postsecondary planning and preparation
- continually working within our own institutions to remove barriers to college access, persistence, degree attainment, and transfer
Appalachian GEAR UP strives to promote and improve access to higher education in 10 partnering districts around Western North Carolina and leverages strategic partnerships to increase postsecondary enrollment. Appalachian GEAR UP provides college-going programming to students and families, academic support in schools, professional development for teachers and administrators, and more in order to improve college access in rural Western North Carolina.
Rising GEAR UP sophomores and juniors can race into summer learning with a 5-day camp on the campus of Appalachian State University June 17-21. Camp N...
The U.S. Department of Education has awarded a $2.2 million Rural Postsecondary Economic Development (RPED) grant to College Access Partnerships (CAP)...
In this series, we will feature individual CAP staff members and dive into their unique perspectives on college access, education, the role of our gra...