WHAT IS YES?
YES is a national 501(c)3 non-profit organization with over two decades of educational development work. YES identifies high-performing students from low-income communities in Los Angeles, New York City, Chicago, and rural Appalachia. YES commits to providing long-term holistic support services that meet students' needs at every milestone along their educational journey.
WHAT IS YES-APPALACHIA?
YES-Appalachia was established in 2015, in partnership with GEAR UP at Appalachian State University. YES-Appalachia is the fourth and newest YES branch, and is the only branch that serves and supports rural students. YES-App serves 11 students, on average, in each cohort.
THE YES-APPALACHIA MISSION
Our mission is to uphold and implement America's promise of equal opportunity for equal talent in the Western North Carolina counties of Ashe and Watauga. We equip intellectually curious scholars with the resources, support, and academic skills required for success through high school, college, and career.
- Increase access to educational opportunities for promising, young leaders from rural Appalachian communities
- Empower historically underrepresented students to embrace educational opportunities, critically engage with new ideas, and strengthen self-advocacy practices in order to make college success an attainable goal
- 100% matriculation and graduation from universities for all YES-App scholars
YES-Appalachia's support services for selected students begin the summer after 6th grade and continue through high school, college, and career placement.
YES support services include, but are not limited to:
- Weekly YES sessions focused on challenging students academically
- In-house summer camps at Appalachian State University
- College preparation advising
- Access to internships and educational programming across the country
EMAIL US (email@example.com)